Thursday, August 25, 2011

The winter garden

The bulk of the winter garden is in! Yesterday I planted corn salad (for eatin' and as a cover crop), an arctic lettuce blend, radishes, and spinach. A few weeks ago I put in kale, collards, chard, pak choi, brocolli, kohlrabi and brussel sprouts. And, in September we'll put in garlic, shallots or onions and fava beans. Who knew so many things could grow through winter!
Right now we are harvesting cucumbers, zucchini, onions, bush and pole beans, mesculun mix, kale, tomatoes, herbs and carrots. Man, I do love gardening! Some days I'm amazed at how much energy it takes. Some days I'm amazed at how many things we've managed to grow in such a short time frame. And right now, I'm feeling amazed at how many things (I'm hoping) we'll grow this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment